In order to ensure that as many graduating seniors have the opportunity to apply, the West High Alumni Association has extended the application deadline for the 2019 WHAA Senior Scholarship Program to Friday, April 5 at 11:59 p.m. Letters of recommendation will also be due by Friday, April 5 at 11:59 p.m.
The application is available online at https://westalumni.org/awards-and-scholarships/student-scholarships/2019-scholarships/.
The scholarship is open to West High School students who will be an incoming college freshman for the 2019-2020 academic year. Preference is given to students who demonstrate financial need and a passion to obtain a college education, regardless of high school GPA.
Additional requirements and eligibility may be found below.
For questions about the scholarship, please contact WHAA Scholarships Chair Emily Berry at email@example.com.
- Be an incoming college freshman for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a college education
- Not be a current recipient of a scholarship award(s) totaling greater than $4,000
- Academic performance, other scholarships, community service and, other factors may also be considered in the selection process
- Agree to join the WHAA Mentorship Program
- Agree to provide follow-up information, such as grades or credit hours, regarding the recipient’s college experience to WHAA (for informational purposes only)
- Complete the online scholarship application by Friday, March 22 at 11:59 p.m.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or similar. Please see additional details below.
- Answer the following short answer questions:
- Please explain your need for financial assistance (250 words or less)
- Tell us about your family. (250 words or less)
- What are your academic and career goals? Have you decided on a major? If yes, provide details. (250 words or less)
- Do you plan to become involved in extracurricular activities in college? If yes, provide details. (250 words or less)
- Is there anything else we should know about you? (500 words or less)
Letter of Recommendation
- A letter of recommendation should be provided from a teacher, coach, West High faculty/staff, community professional or similar mentor.
- The letter must be submitted to the WHAA directly by the recommender no later than Friday, April 5 at 11:59 p.m.
- An email will automatically be sent to the email address provided by the applicant once the scholarship application is submitted. Students are encouraged to request letters of recommendation before submitting their application to ensure recommenders have adequate time to write a letter, and may do so at https://westalumni.org/awards-and-scholarships/student-scholarships/request-a-letter-of-recommendation/.
About the WHAA Scholarship Fund
Each year, the West High Alumni Association aims to help graduating West High seniors pursue their higher education goals by proving scholarships to deserving students. The number of scholarships and scholarship value awarded each year varies, but typically range from 40 to 45 scholarships each academic year.
Our scholarships are generously funded through alumni, friends and family of West High School. To learn more about supporting our scholarship initiative, please visit https://westalumni.org/donate/. All donations are tax deductible.