‘Tis the season of giving. Take a break from planning parties and sending seasons greetings cards and give back to our community this holiday season.
The West High Alumni Association has put together a list of ways that you can help spread a little joy and give back to the West High and surrounding communities this season. If there’s another way you know of to help our west side community, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it to the list.
1. Help families in need at the West High Family Resource Center.
Located on-site at West High School, the Family Resource Center strives to create a safe space for students and their families in and outside the classroom. Services provided include a food pantry, clothes closet, school supplies, after-school tutoring
Currently, the Resource Center is in most need of the following items:
- Winter accessories – scarves, hats, gloves, etc
- School supplies
- Business Casual clothing
Donations may be dropped off at Rm. 231 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
2. Donate to the WHAA scholarship fund and support in-need graduating seniors.
The primary purpose of the West High Alumni Association is to provide student scholarships to help ensure all West High students that want to attend college have the opportunity to do so, regardless of socio-economic background. The number of available scholarship dollars, however, always exceeds demand.
With the increasing cost of higher education, we are more reliant than ever on the support of generous West High alumni in funding these student scholarships. Whether $5 or $500, your donation helps increase access to
All donations to the WHAA are tax-deductible. Donate online at westalumni.org/donate or mail a check to us at:
West High Alumni Association
241 N. 300 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
3. Volunteer with the Salt Lake City Mission.
Serving the Rose Park, Glendale and the greater valley, the Salt Lake City Mission is located on Redwood Road and aims to break cycles of poverty, homelessness
- Angel Tree Gift Drive (Dec. 17): Signup and buy a gift for a child that can’t be with their parent this Christmas season. The gifts can be bought and personalized with a message from the parent to the child. LLearn more >
- Food Box Giveaway (Dec. 21): Sign up to help distribute holiday food boxes to those in need. Learn more>
- Annual Christmas Dinner for The homeless (Dec. 25): Volunteer to help serve food for the hungry and homeless on Christmas Day. Learn more >
- New Year’s Celebration Dinner (Dec.31): Volunteer at this new year celebration that provides food, clothes
andentertainment for those in need. Learn more >
4. Help West High Cheer & Stunt Team go to nationals.
The West High Cheer & Stunt team won their regionals to qualify for National Cheer Competition in spring 2019. The team is working together to raise funds in an effort to help offset the cost to attend, which can be prohibitive otherwise. To donate visit https://www.rallyme.com/rallies/13867/whscheer.
Want to support another West High sport or organization? Alumni can give back to their favorite clubs and teams they were involved in through donations to help offset organization costs. To donate, simply visit or call the West High treasurer’s office (801-578-8500 ext. x2170) for more information about how you can give back to the school organization of your choice.
5. Volunteer with the Candy Cane Corner
Each year, the Candy Cane Corner ensures that hundreds of families have a warm and full holiday season. The holiday store that provides an opportunity for low-income families and individuals who are participating in programs at the YWCA Utah, The Road Home, and Volunteers of America, Utah to select new holiday gifts for their families.
The Candy Cane Corner is accepting donations now through Saturday, December 22. Volunteers are also needed to help with store donations, stock the store, wrap gifts and keep the store running. Learn more>
6. Let us know about other opportunities to serve in the West High community.
Email us at email@example.com to let us know about upcoming volunteer and service opportunities in the West High and surrounding community, both during the holiday season and year-round.