WHAA Graduating Senior Scholarships
Each year, the West High Alumni Association aims to help graduating West High seniors pursue their higher education goals.
The number of scholarships awarded each year varies, but are awarded to deserving West High seniors who are committed to pursuing a college education and demonstrate financial need.
Application Deadline Extended: Friday, April 5, at 11:59 p.m.
Questions? If you have any questions, please contact WHAA Scholarships Chair Emily Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Scholarship Overview, Eligibility and Requirements
- Be an incoming college freshman for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing a college education
- Not be a current recipient of a scholarship award(s) totaling greater than $4,000
- Academic performance, other scholarships, community service and, other factors may also be considered in the selection process
- Agree to join the WHAA Mentorship Program
- Agree to provide follow-up information, such as grades or credit hours, regarding the recipient’s college experience to WHAA (for informational purposes only)
- Complete the online scholarship application by Friday, Arpril 5 at 11:59 p.m.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or similar. Please see additional details below.
- Answer the following short answer questions:
- Please explain your need for financial assistance (250 words maximum)
- Tell us about your family. (250 words maximum)
- What are your academic and career goals? Have you decided on a major? If yes, provide details. (250 words maximum)
- Do you plan to become involved in extracurricular activities in college? If yes, provide details. (250 words maximum)
- Is there anything else we should know about you? (500 words maximum)
- A letter of recommendation should be provided from a teacher, coach, West High faculty/staff, community professional or similar mentor.
- The letter must be submitted to the WHAA directly by the recommender no later than Friday, April 5 at 11:59 p.m.
- An email will automatically be sent to the email address provided by the applicant once the scholarship application is submitted.
- Students are encouraged to request letters of recommendation before submitting their application to ensure recommenders have adequate time to write a letter, and may do so at https://westalumni.org/awards-and-scholarships/student-scholarships/request-a-letter-of-recommendation/ or by clicking the button below.
- There is no page limit; letters may be as brief or detailed as the recommended feels necessary. We strongly encourage recommenders to include in details about extenuating circumstances, strengths, etc. about the scholarship application the recommender feels may relevant for the scholarship committee.
Recipients of WHAA scholarships are required to participate in the program.
Mentors will check-in with the scholarship recipients throughout their first year of college, providing guidance, mentorship and other aid to scholarship recipients. The mentorship program will empower mentees to thrive in the college learning environment and successfully navigate the challenges they face.
Through this mentorship program, the WHAA hopes to make the transition easier and increase the college success of WHAA scholarship recipients.
Scholarship Recipient Requirements
- Attend the WHAA Mentorship Program orientation
- Be prepared for scheduled check-in with mentors
- Reply to mentor’s communication efforts
- Provide college course schedule, credit hours, and grades when requested. This is for informational purposes; your scholarship will not be revoked for grade performance.
- Provide feedback on your college experience
- Provide feedback on the Mentorship Program
For additional information about the WHAA Mentorship Program, please click here.