The West High Alumni Association will hold its inaugural West Giving Day ast part of Homecoming Week on Thursday and Friday, September 12 & 13. The 36-hour online giving campaign makes it easy for alumni, donors, and friends to support the association’s scholarships, mentorship program, alumni awards and other activities.
For its inaugural year, West Giving Day aims to raise $10,000 from 100 alumni. We’re challenging as many individuals to give $18.90 (in honor of the year West was founded, 1890) or more.
The first 50 donors to support West Giving Day will receive a Panther spirit vinyl decal as a thank you.
Alumni, donors and friends of West High can donate in the following ways:
- Via the West High Giving Day platform: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/west-giving-day2019
- West High Alumni website: http://westalumni.org/donate
- At the WHAA table at the Homecoming Tailgate & Football Game
- Check made out to the West High Alumni Association. Mail checks to:
West High Alumni Association
241 N. 300 West Room 215
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
During 2018-2019 school year the West High Alumni Association awarded nearly $90,000 in scholarships to 30 WHS graduating seniors and alumni. The West High Alumni Association’s goal is to expand the number of scholarships awarded in 2019-2020 to 40, funded in part through West Giving Day.
The West High Alumni Association is an entirely volunteer-run 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to preserving school history and traditions, celebrating alumni and helping students succeed. We rely exclusively on the generosity of donors to fund our organization.
The largest activity and expenditure of the WHAA is our student and alumni scholarships. Most of our scholarships are awarded to graduating seniors who might otherwise lack the financial means to receive a college or technical education.
Here are some of the financial, socioeconomic and cultural realities that West High students facing as a barrier to pursing their educational goals:
- 83% of WHAA senior scholarship applicants are the first in their family to attend college (2018-2019)
- 75% of WHAA senior scholarship applicants are a minority ethnicity (2018-2019)
- 63% of all West High School students are from low-income families (2018-2019)
- $1,290 average amount spent college students on textbooks and college supplies in an academic year (2018-2019)
- $12,348 average cost of college tuition in Utah (2017-2018)
All donations to the West High Alumni Association are tax detectible. To donate, visit http://westalumni.org/donate.