History

1 09, 1906

Creation of the School Seal

In 1906, Hugh B. Lewis designed the school seal. The inscription on the seal, “ Non Nobis Solum- Not For Ourselves Alone”, represented the beginning of a new era; the school spirit and traditions have continued to grow since that time. The West High seal was placed in mosaic tiles in the main foyer as a gift from

1 09, 1898

Rapid Growth of Salt Lake High

Salt Lake High School rapidly grew out of its first home. To accommodate the increasing number of students, Salt Lake High moved to the Clayton Building on South Temple, then to the Utah National Armory on Pierpont Street in 1898. A.O. Clark was principal at this time. By 1900, enrollment had grown to approximately

19 07, 1890

Establishment of Salt Lake High

On July 19, 1890, Salt Lake City Mayor George W. Scott organized the first Board of Education. In that same year, Salt Lake High School was held in the old Fourteenth Ward building (which later became the Fremont School Building). E.M. Collins was principal and 21 students attended the first year in 1891. Salt Lake