Salt Lake High School rapidly grew out of its first home. To accommodate the increasing number of students, Salt Lake High moved to the Clayton Building on South Temple, then to the Utah National Armory on Pierpont Street in 1898. A.O. Clark was principal at this time. By 1900, enrollment had grown to approximately 675 students with George A. Eaton as principal.
This view looking east on Pierpont Street shows the National Guard Armory on the left. These buildings were built by the Oregon Short Line Railroad in 1897-98 and were home to Salt Lake High School prior to its relocation to the current site of West High in 1902.