The day before school opened in 1900 the Pierpont Street building was destroyed by a fire that began in the building next door. Governor Wells and the Utah State Land Board offered the use of the old University of Utah building on the block now occupied by West High School. The city later bought the property; first the Union Building, then the George Eaton Gymnasium and finally in 1912, the Technical Arts Building was constructed.
By 1912, there was a need for a second high school. Salt Lake High became Salt Lake High-West, and Salt Lake High-East. students attended Bryant Junior High until their building was completed in 1914.