In 1893, football was introduced into Salt Lake High School. They won the state title in football that year, losing only one game in their first year of competition. Since that time, West has won so many more state and regional championships that we have lost count! West has won more state titles than any other high school in Utah. West High’s first football coach, J. Fred O’Dell, would proudly wear his red and black sweater to games and practices. Because of Coach O’Dell, we wave and wear these cherished colors.
Salt Lake High School rapidly grew out of its first home. To accommodate the increasing number of students, Salt Lake High moved to the Clayton Building on South Temple, then to the Utah National Armory on Pierpont Street in 1898. A.O. Clark was principal at this time. By 1900, enrollment had grown to approximately 675 students with George A. Eaton as principal.